New "Taste" in Hampton Roads

At first I did not intend to do restaurant reviews in this blog. When my original idea for today's post did not turn out as planned, my daughter suggested an alternate idea. Since we were doing a first time visit to a new restaurant in town I should take the opportunity to write about our experience. 





My friend, youngest daughter and I made our first trip to the new Suffolk location of "Taste Unlimited", a local restaurant which has been a Hampton Roads fixture since the 70s.  "Taste" calls itself a “specialty food retailer” which specializes in locally sourced foods, primarily sandwiches, salads and soups.  They also have an extensive catering menu which includes menus for parties, tailgates, and other events. I saw listings for Pimento Mac & Cheese and Crab Mac & Cheese which are not available in-store, only for catering. (Quick- someone plan an event!) They sell wine by the glass and by the bottle. They also create the most wonderful gift baskets, which I have been the lucky recipient of in the past.   I imagine that Santa will be stopping at Taste this Christmas! 


I had the “Hilltop” which the menu proclaims to be their most popular sandwich for nearly 40 years. As the menu says, it was deliciously simple and was made of turkey, provolone and house dressing on fantastic French bread. The meat was real turkey, not deli slices.  I had a half-sandwich for $4.99 which was more than enough for me.  My daughter created her own sandwich from abundant lists of meats, cheeses, breads, “extras” and dressings. She also enjoyed a chocolate mint gelato which she described as light, fluffy and deliciously rich- the small was a big enough portion.  My friend had the Pungo Barbecue sandwich for $6.99 which she declared to be very good.  The fare and atmosphere reminds me of "The Cheese Shoppe" in Colonial Williamsburg. 


My friend and I are looking forward to coming back when the weather cools to enjoy a glass of wine on the patio. 


Speaking of wine (and wine bottles), I could not resist getting a picture (sorry about the quality) of this cool light fixture.   Could be a kitchen project in the future! 



So although my original planned post did not turn out as I wished, I  had a great lunch and spent some quality time with a dear friend and my wonderful daughter. I will definitely be going back soon. My other daughter has already told me we have to go next week, because she was working today. Since it's a great mother/daughter lunch spot, I will take my Mom as well!  

If you are in the Hampton Roads area, you can visit their website to see their hours, locations, and menu here .


Thanks for stopping by! 

Cynthia

Comments

Popular Posts