Skip to main content

Happy New Year! A Tablescape and Non-Resolutions


I am not one for resolutions- they never last (at least not for me) and I feel like they kind of set us up for failure as we begin a new year.  But I do make plans and set goals for myself for the coming year. Phrasing it that way seems to work a little better for me.  Why am I bringing this up?  Well one of my plans affects this blog.  I want to find more joy- more reasons and ways to celebrate the blessings that I have.   And I plan to share these celebrations- great and small with you. 


I begin with today- New Year's Eve 2015.  What better way to toast the dawn of 2016 than with a golden champagne flute!  I "glittered" these glasses following the instructions I posted here.  This morning I learned that there is an easier way.  Stay tuned!  There will be plenty more occasions to glitter in 2016 and I will share a new technique with you then. 

Another plan that I have involves my dining room.  



I set my New Year's Eve table there. It is very simple and perfect for our low-key celebration.  



The black and gold color scheme seems perfect for the occasion- perhaps for an Oscar celebration as well! The gold flatware, placemats, candles and glasses with gold detailing came from Pier One. The black napkins tied with gold tinsel do not photograph well (I should have anticipated that and will be on the look-out for good January sales on gold napkins!). They actually look quite elegant in person! 



Aren't these glasses pretty?  I got them as a Christmas gift from my parents.  I expect that they will be the star of many tablescapes in the future. 



The "centerpiece" is simple.  The candleholders are actually from the Dollar Store and painted gold for the occasion.  (I couldn't find any gold candle holders anywhere!) There are Gold Christmas decorations lining the center of the table and are joined by a black and gold feather boa. The lights are battery operated LED lights that I have in a couple of colors and use them for almost every occasion. I found them on Amazon a couple of years ago.  Very festive! 


Back to my plans for the dining room.  As you can tell from the pictures, it is very dark!  I plan to paint it a lighter color (the color is up for debate amongst family members) and update it.  As I mentioned before- if I post it, I have to do it right!?!

I am linking this post up to the beautiful tablescapes on Between Naps on the Porch.  Be sure to stop by and be inspired by the gorgeous table settings there. 

Don't forget your Black-eyed Peas, Greens and Pork for luck tomorrow!  Come back on New Year's Day for a different take on the traditional Black-eye Peas recipe.  Happy New Year! 

Thanks for stopping by today! 
~Cynthia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mother's Day Challege Blog Hop and Give-Away!

Many of you know that I am a proud member of the Fantabulous Cricut Challenge Blog Design Team.  We are so happy to announce that it is-  The Fantabulous Cricut Challenge Blog's300th Challenge!  We are having a BLOG HOP to celebrate!


Challenge #300
Make a project about Mother's Day!

One lucky commenter will be chosen (from all blog hop comments on each blog, plus this one) to win this-


a Brand New Cricut Explore! Courtesy of


of Denton, Texas

ALSO- The FCCB Design Team is sponsoring TWO $25 gift cards at
Amazon!
We also have:

$15.00 Gift Certificate
And two $10 gift certificates to-


Dreaming Tree SVG's To qualify for the gift certificates, be sure to use at least 1 Cricut cuton your project and if it's not obvious, let us know what cartridge you used. If you use a Cricut Explore machine, at least one cut must be from the Cricut catalog of images.

There is a limit of three entries per person.

Be sure to visit each Design Team member leave a comment and become a follower - those will …

Happy Halloween Tablescape

I love polka-dots.  They make me happy. So does Halloween, beautiful fall weather and the fact that my oldest daughter is visiting.  With that in mind, I decided to enjoy a happy little Halloween dinner on the deck. It has been a long time since I posted a table scape and I want to share this simple little happy table.  



A couple of weeks ago, I grabbed up the remaining yardage of this polka dot fabric from Walmart, of all places.  I wish I had bought more when it first came out.  It is perfect for a Halloween tablecloth, quilting or a number of other projects I can think of.  



This candelabra came from Target. I had a difficult time finding Halloween taper candles, finally stumbling upon them at Michaels (for 50% off!).  Again, I should have shopped in August, there were more options available then, but I really like the orange with black stripes. (Somebody remind me next year!) I made the witch hat last year (you can see that on my Halloween Eve post here.) There was quite a breeze on…

Bee-Lated Again! (And a Free-Bee!)

You may remember that I promised to tell you about the party favors from my daughter's "Bee-lated Birthday". Not only was I late with her birthday party, but I am late with the promised post as well!  With the bee theme that we had for the party, and my new found fascination with making my own bath soap and sugar scrubs, I decided to make little bee-themed soaps as a party favor.  



I have shared with you a couple of times how easy it is to make your own "designer" soaps. For these, I got a bee soap mold, some goat's milk soap base and my new favorite Honey Almond soap scent.  I purchased all of these from Micheal's (don't forget your coupon!), but I am intrigued by some molds that I found on Amazon.  Be sure to shop around and find what makes you happy. 


They are simple to make- melt one pound of the soap base in the microwave according to package directions (30 seconds, stir: 30 seconds, stir, etc. until completely melted).  Add your favorite scent, …