Happy National Chocolate Cake Day!
Today is National Chocolate Cake Day! And tomorrow is my Mom's birthday! What better way to celebrate than to make a delicious treat that she used to make for us when we were growing up!
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
(Yes, that's right, mayonnaise, don't judge- it's good!)
2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 2/3 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup mayonnaise
1 1/3 cups water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and lightly flour (or use your favorite cake release) two 9 inch pans.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder; set aside. (I sift my flour and cocoa before adding to the bowl, but you don't need to.)
- In a large bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla for three minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in mayonnaise at low speed until blended.
- Add in flour gradually, alternating with water, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes on wire racks then remove from pans and cool completely. Frost if desired.
I couldn't find the original recipe card that we used to use, but I found the same recipe here on the Hellmann's Mayonnaise website.
Since I am always on the lookout for a good frosting recipe I checked out the Hershey's Cocoa website and found this great recipe that I used on the cake. With a name like this how could I resist!
"Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting
1 stick butter
2/3 cup Hershey's Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
- Melt butter. Stir in cocoa (slowly!). Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistently.
- Add a small amount of additional milk if needed. Stir in vanilla. Makes about 2 cups frosting.
When I first looked at the frosted cake it looked a little naked so I added some chocolate hearts. They are Hershey's too (no, I am not being compensated by Hershey's!)
Since it's Mom's birthday, I will be taking it over to share with her tomorrow. No, it is not her fancy "party cake" (that will come later) but I hope she enjoys it just the same!
Happy Birthday to my wonderful Mom!
Happy National Chocolate Cake Day to you and thanks for stopping by today!