Happy Earth Day!
Happy Earth Day!
Photo by Ocean Biology Processing Group at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center (NASA) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
Earth Day began in 1970 as a way to draw world-wide attention to environmental issues. I think its a great time to consider this wonderful world that we live in and appreciate it for all of its beautiful glory. Here are some great activities to enjoy our world and celebrate Earth Day:
- Learn more about the Earth Day movement and find official activities in your area, click here.
- Visit your local National Park. The National Park Service is celebrating its 100th birthday this year with a number of events designed to spread the world about these amazing sites. Take some time to enjoy our magnificent world up close. Find out the location of your local park here.
|Can you see my little friend here?|
- Plant a tree or flowers or begin your vegetable garden. Get your hands dirty in our earth.
- Visit your local strawberry patch or farmer's market. I was so thrilled to hear this morning that our local strawberry patch has opened for picking! There is no better way to appreciate our great earth than to taste fresh fruits and vegetables straight from the farm.
- Lets not forget our beautiful oceans, rivers and seas. According to the United States Geological Survey, 96.5 percent of our earth is covered in water. It is a little cold around here to enjoy your favorite water sport, but it is never too cold to appreciate the beauty of our local waterways and consider the gifts we get from the sea.
- For a totally different perspective on our great Earth check out the International Space Station website here. If you are on social media, follow them on Twitter (@Space_Station) or on Facebook. They post the most amazing photographs from space!